Car Care Guide: Oil, Filters, Fluid
Your body needs hydration to function properly.
So does your vehicle. But the most important fluid for your car is the oil.
Crucial parts of your engine depend on your vehicle’s oil and filter so it stays clean and cool. There are other special fluids that handle the operation and protection of additional components, like the brakes, cooling system, power steering, and the transmission.
The interior ventilation, fuel system, and transmission also require a variety of filters to work properly. Here’s what you need to know.
Why do your filters, fluids, and oil need service?
Your engine needs to stay clean on the inside. All kinds of contaminants can invade and make the important components break down.
Metallic shavings, dust, condensation, and antifreeze can get into oil, other fluids, and the engine itself. The only way to protect your engine is to have regular oil, filter, and fluid changes.
Belts are also damaged by age and time. As they become loose and start to slip they deteriorate more quickly.
Here are a few examples:
- Transmission fluid breaks down quickly when it’s subjected to high heat and most transmission breakdowns occur due to overheating.
- Contaminated brake fluid can cause the components in the braking system to corrode or experience a myriad of other mechanical failures.
These maintenance tasks will keep your vehicle running up to speed when done regularly:
- Periodically check oil levels and have it changed according to your owner’s manual recommendations.
- Coolant should be changed regularly, also according to directions in the owner’s manual. Keep in mind that, in many cases, the coolant type is specific to the type of vehicle.
- Coolant, brake fluid, and power steering fluid shouldn’t need to be topped off. If they’re low, it’s likely there’s a leak or malfunction somewhere that needs to be taken care of.
Oil, filters, and fluid
Your vehicle is a big investment. It’s wise to protect it by giving it the regular care and maintenance it needs to serve you for as long as possible. You won’t have avoidable repairs that cost money and cause extra wear and tear on your car.
The thought of handling all this maintenance on your own can be overwhelming. But you don’t have to go it alone. The experienced and skilled technicians at your nearest Conrad’s location are ready and willing to help you out.
They’ll give your car a thorough inspection, make any necessary repairs, perform regular maintenance, and make recommendations based on your owner’s manual guidelines.