January Car Maintenance Tips You Need to Know
Is one of your New Year’s resolutions to take better care of your vehicle?
It’s no secret that regular maintenance will ensure that your car serves you well for a long, long time, so it only makes sense that you stay on top of its care.
Winter presents unique challenges for car care. Let’s see what you should be doing.
Winter car care
The cold, snow, and ice can cause dangerous conditions and performing some of these maintenance tasks can make sure you stay safe on the roads.
- Alignment. When your car is out of alignment, it’s harder to control. It also won’t use fuel as efficiently as it could. The first of the year is a great time to get your alignment checked.
- Battery. Being stuck out in the cold with a dead battery is no joke. Have your battery tested by your trusted mechanic to make sure that it’s holding a charge so you don’t face any nasty surprises.
- Brakes. Like other vehicle systems, the conditions of winter can be tough on your brakes, especially when you’re frequently trying to stop on snow and ice. Have them inspected to keep yourself as safe as possible.
- Coolant levels. All your fluid levels are important no matter the season but especially the coolant in the winter. Have your entire coolant system checked, including radiator, hoses, and belts.
- Tires. Your tires are unsafe for winter’s driving conditions if the pressure isn’t right. Make sure your car is easier to handle and more fuel efficient by regularly checking the pressure.
- Wiper blades. Your windshield wiper blades are crucial for keeping snow and other moisture clear so that you can see well enough at all times.
- Lighting. The days are shorter, so you’ll be driving after dark more often. Have all your exterior lights inspected and replaced, if necessary. Throughout the winter, it’s also important that you keep snow cleared off your vehicle to make sure your lights aren’t covered.
Winter driving can be tough on your car, but the most important thing is that you and your passengers stay safe.
Keeping your vehicle maintained throughout the winter will ensure it’s running at its optimum levels and you can be confident you’re taking the most important precautions.
Come and see us at Conrad’s for all your winter vehicle maintenance needs!