How Much Do You REALLY Know About Valentine’s Day?
Hearts, flowers, romance, and love.
It must be Valentine’s Day.
Have you ever thought about where this day for embracing Cupid’s arrow came from?
Who Was St. Valentine?
Yes, there is an actual saint associated with this special day.
There are actually three popular legends surrounding the identity of a man known as Valentine or Valentinus.
1. Love outlaw
The first story contends that the Roman Emperor Claudius II decided men with wives and families didn’t make the best soldiers, so he decreed young men were no longer allowed to get married.
Valentine – a priest – found this law to be unfair and wrong, so he continued to marry young couples in secret.
When his trespass was discovered, he was put to death.
2. Christian aide
Another legend holds that Valentine helped Christians to escape from Roman prisons where they were being tortured and beaten.
His aide to the faithful ended in his demise at the hands of an unhappy government.
3. Prisoner of love
It’s thought that Valentine may have actually sent the very first Valentine to himself.
Imprisoned, he fell in love with the jailer’s daughter, who frequently visited him.
Before he died, he wrote his love a letter and signed it, “From your Valentine.”
The real story behind Saint Valentine remains a mystery, but each story surrounding him place an emphasis on his heroic, sympathetic, and romantic nature.
In fact, by the Middle Ages, he was one of the most popular saints in France and England.
Fun Facts About Valentine’s Day
Check out these interesting tidbits about this February love-fest.
- The American practice of exchanging cards and gifts for Valentine’s Day has been around since the early 1700s.
- The first mass-produced Valentine’s cards were made by Esther A. Howland and went on sale in the 1840s.
- She’s known as the “Mother of the Valentine” because of her detailed creations that included lace, ribbons, and pictures.
- Today, there are more than one billion Valentine cards exchanged each year.
- Women are the ones sending the cards 85% of the time.
- Other than the U.S., Valentine’s Day is celebrated in Canada, Mexico, the U.K., France, and Australia.
Show Your Love With Car Care
If you’re looking for the perfect Valentine’s Day gift for your love, show you care by giving their vehicle a little TLC.
Sometimes, taking care of some of the everyday stressors is the best gift you can give.
At Conrad’s, we’d love to help you surprise someone you care about by setting up routine maintenance.
Give us a call today!